The compact R-05 digital recorder is easy to use, affordable, and packed with great features that raise the bar in its price class. Experience crystal-clear 24/96 capture, enhanced recording and editing features, and extended battery life (over 16 hours per charge). On stage, in rehearsal, at school, on the street, in the boardroom, whenever inspiration strikes, let the R-05 capture it with convenience and quality.
- High-quality stereo recording (24-bit / 96kHz) with the built-in stereo mic or external input
- Records directly to SD card with extended battery life (over 30 hours continuous playback, over 16 hours continuous recording)
- Strong, attractive metallic exterior
- Onboard editing functions; built-in reverb
- Music practice features (change tempo without changing pitch, loop playback, etc.)
- Auto record start, auto song split, auto level adjust
- Pre-record function (captures 2 seconds of audio which precedes pressing REC)
- Use as a high-quality portable audio player (plays WAV and MP3 files)
- Screw hole on rear for tripod mount
The R-05 provides pristine, uncompressed stereo recording directly to SD card up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. Whether recording directly with the built-in stereo mic or capturing sounds from an externally connected microphone or stereo line input, you’ll be impressed with the R-05’s detail and clarity. And for worry-free recording, the convenient Rehearsal mode ensures that you won’t overload the input.
Even though the R-05 integrates fluidly with computers via USB 2.0, this new generation recorder doesn’t require a PC for editing. For speed and convenience, you can trim, divide, and combine within the R-05. And for those who’d like to apply a high-gloss finish to their recordings, the R-05 is equipped with built-in reverb.
In a rehearsal studio, you can make clear recordings of your band, even at high volume levels. The R-05 can automatically set the optimum recording level, and can split the songs for you automatically. It’s also possible simultaneously to record a high-quality WAV file for CD production and an MP3 file for file sharing.
The R-05 can help you practise your instrument or vocals. You can repeatedly loop a specified region of audio, or change the playback speed without changing the pitch. You can play back a difficult phrase slowly or play back at high speed to grasp the overall structure of a song in a short time.
For non-musicians too
Musicians will naturally gravitate to the R-05, but this portable recorder is great for many non-musical applications as well e.g. recording lectures, speeches, and meetings. The high sensitivity, built-in microphone will clearly capture all of the voices in a room. The screw hole on the rear for a tripod mount enhances optimal placement and cleaner recordings as well.
Audio & Video
- Recorder Part
- 2 (stereo one pair)
- Signal Processing
- AD/DA conversion: 24 bits, 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz
- Data Type (Recording)
- WAVE (Sampling Rate: 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz, Bit Depth: 16/24 bits)
MP3 (Sampling Rate: 44.1/48 kHz, Bit Rates: 64/96/128/160/192/224/320 kbps)
WAVE + MP3 (Sampling Rate: 44.1/48 kHz, Bit Depth: 16 bits, Bit Rates: 128 kbps)
*MP3 ... MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3
- Data Type (Playback)
- WAVE (Sampling Rate: 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz, Bit Depth: 16/24 bits)
MP3 (Sampling Rate: 32/44.1/48 kHz, Bit Rates: 32 - 320 kbps or VBR)
*MP3 ... MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, VBR ... Variable Bit Rate
- Memory Card
- SD Card, SDHC format compatible
- Recording Time*
- WAV (24-bit/96 kHz): 27 mins/GB
WAV (24-bit/88.2 kHz): 30 mins/GB
WAV (24-bit/48 kHz): 54 mins/GB
WAV (24-bit/44.1 kHz): 59 mins/GB
WAV (16-bit/96 kHz): 40 mins/GB
WAV (16-bit/88.2 kHz): 44 mins/GB
WAV (16-bit/48 kHz): 81 mins/GB
WAV (16-bit/44.1 kHz): 88 mins/GB
MP3 (320 kbps): 392 mins/GB
MP3 (128 kbps): 980 mins/GB
* Each recording time is approximate. The times may change depending on the card specifications.
* In case that there are plural files, the sum of recording time would be shorter than above.
- Audio Inputs
- Internal Stereo Microphone, Mic input (Stereo miniature phone type, plug-in powered mic), Line input (Stereo miniature phone type)
*The Internal/External Mic and the Line input can't be used at the same time (Line input priority).
- Audio Output
- Phones (Stereo miniature phone type)
- Nominal Input Level (Variable)
- Mic input: -33 dBu (MIC GAIN is H, Default input level)
Mic input: -15 dBu (MIC GAIN is L, Default input level)
Line input: -7 dBu (Default input level)
* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- Input Impedance
- Mic input (MIC GAIN is H): 7k ohms
Mic input (MIC GAIN is L): 5k ohms
Line input: 8 k ohms
- Output Level
- 20 mW + 20 mW (In case 16 ohms load)
- Recommended Load Impedance
- 16 ohms or greater
- Frequency Response
- 20 Hz to 40 kHz
- USB Interface
- Mini-B type connector (support USB 2.0/1.1 mass storage device class)
- 4 types (Hall1, Hall2, Room, Plate)
- Speed change:
- 50 - 150 % of playback speed
- * Playback only. Excludes playback in 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz.
* Reverb and Speed Change can't be used at the same time.
- 128 x 64 dot graphic display
- Power Supply
- AC Adaptor
Alkaline dry battery LR6 (AA) type x 2 or Nickel Hydrogen battery (HR15/51) x 2
- Current Draw
- 290 mA (maximum)
- Duration of continuous use with Alkaline battery operation
- Playback: over 30 hours
Recording: over 16 hours
* These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Owner's manual, Quick start guide, SD card, Batteries (two AA), USB cable (mini-B type), Windscreen
- AC Adaptor: PSB6U series, Silicone Rubber Case: OP-R05S, Cover / Windscreen Set: OP-R05C, Carrying Pouch: OP-RP1, Microphone Stand Adaptor: OP-MSA1, Binaural Microphones / Earphones: CS-10EM, Stereo Microphone: CS-15S
- Size and Weight
- 60 mm
- 103 mm
- 25 mm
- 140 g
0 lbs. 5 oz.
- In the interest of product improvement, the specifications and/or appearance of this unit are subject to change without prior notice.
AC Power Adaptor
Microphone Stand Adapter
Microphone stand adapter for recorders such as the R-05 and R-09HR.
Cardioid-type stereo microphone with desktop stand, hand-held mount, and windscreen.
Lightweight-yet-sturdy stand for mics, R-09 and more.
Transport the R-09 and all its accessories!
Keep the R-09 safe and transport all its accessories in one convenient padded carrying case.
Cushion-lined, carrying pouch for recorders such as the R-05 and R-09HR.
Roland’s top-of-the-line headphones.
Open Air Headphones
Professional studio headphones with open air design.
Attractive in-ear headphones with deeper bass and extended frequency performance.
Binaural recording and in-ear monitoring companion for recorders such as the R-05 and R-09HR.
Cover/Wind Screen Set for R-05
Cover and wind screen set for the R-05 recorder.
Silicone Rubber Case for R-05
Silicone rubber case for the R-05 recorder.
Updates & Drivers
If you have questions about operating your Roland or BOSS product, please log in to MyRoland where you can log an enquiry with one of our product specialists.