Hand-held field recorders have been hot commodities for musicians, recording engineers, and sound designers for years. Today, the mercury rises in this dynamic market with the debut of the game-changing R-26. This innovative recorder is portable yet loaded with first-class, professional features, the likes of which the industry has not seen before. There are two types of stereo microphones built into the R-26, plus a pair of XLR/TRS combo inputs for external mics, and an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic. Choose simultaneous combinations of the built-in mics (directional and omnidirectional), as well as the external inputs. Capture live performances with simultaneous line and ambient signal paths, record important speeches, lectures, and presentations, or take the R-26 into the inner city or deep forest for pristine field capture. The sky’s the limit with this powerful, portable, and incredibly flexible recorder.
- Two types of built-in stereo microphones (omnidirectional and directional) that can be used in various combinations
- Two XLR/TRS combo inputs with 48 V phantom power, plus an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic
- Supports up to six channels (three stereo channels) of simultaneous recording
- Large LCD touchscreen display for intuitive navigation
- Large input-level knobs for fine adjustment
- Built-in Hi-Speed USB interface for use as an audio interface or external storage
- Loop-Back function; combine this with the built-in or external mics for the optimum live video streaming setup (only with Audio Interface function)
- Bundled with SONAR LE software (PC)
The R-26 features Roland’s latest DSP engine, which allows simultaneous recording of up to six channels (three stereo channels). A large LCD touchscreen display lets you directly navigate menus for customizing the microphone settings, editing waveforms, and so on. It also features large input-level knobs for making precise adjustments.
Built-In Stereo Mics
Directional and omnidirectional stereo microphones are built into the R-26, and can be used simultaneously. This unique multi-stereo mic recording system lets you capture a wide stereo sound field without spoiling the vibrant low frequencies and ambience of the venue.
Two XLR/TRS combo mic inputs are built into the R-26, plus an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic, which can be combined simultaneously with the internal mics. At a live concert, for example, the R-26 can capture a stereo mix from the FOH mixer via its XLR inputs, as well as the ambient audience noise via its built-in stereo mics.
Six-Channel Simultaneous Recording
The R-26 allows up to six channels of simultaneous recording (three stereo pairs). Capture the same sound source with three different types of microphones, both internal and external. This provides a new level of flexibility after the fact, as you can choose from the individual tracks or composite mixes.
You can connect the R-26 to your computer for use as an audio interface or for external storage. Use the R-26 in combination with the bundled SONAR LE software app to perform recording and detailed editing on your PC.
Audio & Video
Introducing the R-26 Portable Recorder.
R-26 Introduction (Part 1)
Take a guided tour of the R-26 Portable Recorder.
R-26 Introduction (Part 2)
Part two in the series.
R-26 Introduction (Part 3)
Part three in the series.
R-26 Recording Applications
Capture live performances with simultaneous line and ambient signal paths, record important speeches, lectures, and presentations, or take the R-26 into the inner city or deep forest for pristine field capture.
- Recorder Part
- 6 (3 stereo)
- Signal Processing
- AD/DA conversion: 24 bits, 96/88.2/48/44.1 kHz
- Data Type
- For Recording WAVE/BWF: Sampling Rate: 96/88.2/48/44.1 kHz, Bit Depth: 24/16 bits MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3): Sampling Rate: 48/44.1 kHz, Bit Rates: 320/160/128 kbps WAVE + MP3: Sampling Rate: 48/44.1 kHz, Bit Depth: 16 bits, Bit Rates: 128 kbps For Playback WAVE: Sampling Rate: 96/88.2/48/44.1 kHz, Bit Depth: 24/16 bits MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3): Sampling Rate: 48/44.1 kHz, Bit Rates: 32-320 kbps or VBR (Variable Bit Rate)
- Memory Card
- SD Card (SDHC format compatible)
- Recording Time
* Each recording time is approximate. The times may change depending on the card specifications. * In case that there are plural files, the sum of recording time would be shorter than above.
- Audio Inputs
- Internal Stereo Microphones: Omnidirectional (OMNI) mic, Directional (XY) mic Analog inputs 1/L, 2/R (XLR/TRS Combo type): XLR type (phantom powered), 1/4-inch TRS phone type (balanced/unbalanced) Plug-in powered mic input (Stereo miniature phone type)
- Audio Output
- Headphone jack (Stereo miniature phone type)
- Nominal Input Level
- Analog inputs 1/L, 2/R: +4, -2, -8, -14, -20, -26, -32, -38, -44, -50, -56, -62 dBu Plug-in powered mic input: LOW -7.5 dBu, MID -21 dBu, HIGH -26 dBu * Input Level Knob : Center
- Input Impedance
- Analog inputs 1/L, 2/R : 5k ohms Plug-in powered mic input : 3k ohms (SENS = MID/HIGH), 2k ohms (SENS = LOW)
- Maximum Input
- Analog inputs 1/L, 2/R : +24 dBu (SENS = +4 dBu) Plug-in powered mic input : +4 dBu (SENS = LOW)
- Output Level
- 35 mW + 35 mW (In case 16 ohms load)
- Recommended Load Impedance
- 16 ohms or greater
- Frequency Response
- 16 ohms or greater
- Phantom Power
- 48 V + or - 4 V 10 mA or less in all channels
- USB Interface
- Mini-B type connector USB mass storage device class USB audio (Hi-Speed USB)
- 160 x 160 dots graphic display (touch screen)
- Power Supply
- AC adaptor Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4 or Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) X 4
- Current Draw
- 500 mA (MAX)
- Owner's manual SD Card AC Adaptor Power Cord Cakewalk SONAR LE DVD-ROM (for Windows) USB Cable (mini-B type) Windscreen
- Cover/Windscreen Set: OP-R26CW Binaural Microphones/Earphones: CS-10EM Stereo Shotgun Microphone: CS-50 Stereo Microphone: CS-15S Stereo Headphones: RH-300 Microphone Stand Adaptor: OP-MSA1 Microphone Stand: ST-100MB
- Size and Weight
- 82 mm
- 180 mm
- 41 mm
- 370 g
0 lbs. 14 oz.
- * 0 dbu = 0.775 Vrms
- 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
ASIO is trademark of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH.
Gracenote® is a registered trademark of Gracenote, Inc. The Gracenote logo and logotype, and the "Powered by Gracenote" logo are trademarks of Gracenote.
R-26 uses MP3 codec from SPIRIT (http://www.spiritdsp.com/), one of the leading experts in high-performance audio and video processing technologies for a variety of software and hardware multimedia and communication applications.
Cover/Windscreen Set for R-26
Custom-designed accessory set for the R-26 recorder.
Binaural recording and in-ear monitoring companion for recorders such as the R-05 and R-09HR.
Cardioid-type stereo microphone with desktop stand, hand-held mount, and windscreen.
Microphone Stand Adapter
Microphone stand adapter for recorders such as the R-05 and R-09HR.
Lightweight-yet-sturdy stand for mics, R-09 and more.
Updates & Drivers
If you have questions about operating your Roland or BOSS product, please log in to MyRoland where you can log an enquiry with one of our product specialists.