SonicCell puts the power and legendary sound quality of a Roland hardware synthesizer on your desktop. With its dual SRX expansion bay, built-in USB audio interface, and ability to play SMFs and WAV/AIFF/MP3 files, SonicCell is a dream for computer-based musicians and live performers who seek a compact, integrated pro sound module and USB audio-interface solution.
- 128-voice sound module with new soundset, featuring super-realistic acoustic instruments
- USB audio interface functionality plus USB-memory host function
- SMF and audio data playback capability via USB host function
- SRX slot x 2
- PC/Mac Editor and Cakewalk SONAR LE bundled
Superior Sound Module
Equipped with a state-of-the-art sound engine, SonicCell delivers the pristine sound quality of a dedicated Roland hardware synth. A remarkable new waveform set has been created for SonicCell, including a world-class collection of acoustic instruments, drums, and percussion that are expertly programmed to provide the ultimate in expression and realism. SonicCell’s internal sound bank can even be expanded and customised via its two internal SRX expansion bays. Choose from over a dozen of Roland’s famous SRX Expansion boards (sold separately) that cover a vast world of musical instruments and styles. Whether you’re driving SonicCell from a computer, another synthesizer, or a MIDI keyboard or guitar controller, you’ll enjoy unsurpassed sound quality, reliability, and flexibility.
Seamless Computer Connectivity
SonicCell is ideal for musicians who use a PC as the core of their writing, recording, and performing universe. More than a mere sound module, SonicCell is equipped with a built-in USB audio interface. Simply connect SonicCell directly to your computer’s USB port, and you can record and create music with no additional hardware required. You can even plug a microphone, guitar, or other instruments into SonicCell and record your live audio tracks directly into your computer. And since SonicCell can help minimise the burden on the computer’s processor, you’ll enjoy more efficient and stable performance. As an added bonus, a free copy of Cakewalk's Sonar LE recording software included with every SonicCell sold, as is a plug-in style PC software editor, which makes sound designing and effects programming fast and friendly. SonicCell is the perfect all-in-one solution for synthesis and recording.
Ultra-Handy Backing Machine
In addition to its high-quality synthesis and audio-interface functions, SonicCell can be used as a virtual backing band. Simply create a playlist of your songs or backing tracks with the software Playback Editor (included free with SonicCell), and transfer the playlist to a commercially available USB memory stick. Insert the stick into SonicCell’s USB port, and it will become a stand-alone song player that you can play and control onstage or anywhere you perform. SonicCell can play back WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files. It evens plays Standard MIDI Files!
- Sound Generator Section
- 16 parts
- Maximum Polyphony
- 128 voices
- Wave Memory
- 128 M bytes (16-bit linear equivalent)
- Expansion Slots
- Expansion of waveforms and patches for the internal sound generator SRX expansion boards: 2 slots
- Preset Memory
- Patches: 896 + 256 (GM2)
Rhythm Sets: 32 + 9 (GM2)
- User Memory
- Patches: 256
Rhythm Sets: 32
- External Memory
- USB Memory
- Multi-Effects: 3 systems, 78 types
Chorus: 3 types
Reverb: 5 types
Input Effect: 6 types
Mastering Effect: 3 bands Compressor
- Audio Interface Section
- Number of Audio Input/Output Channels
- Input: 1 pair of stereo (MIC, GUITAR: Monaural/LINE: Stereo)
Output: 1 pair of stereo
- Signal Processing
- PC interface: 24 bits
AD/DA Conversion: 24 bits
- Sampling Frequency
- AD/DA Conversion: 44.1/48/96 kHz
- Nominal Input Level
- Input jack (MIC/GUITAR/LINE (L) )
Mic: -50-- -30 dBu
Guitar: -30-- -10 dBu
Line: -30-- -10 dBu
Input jack (LINE (R) )
Line: -30-- -10 dBu
- Nominal Output Level
- Output jacks: -10 dBu
- SMF/Audio File Player Section
- File Format
- Standard MIDI File: format-0/1
Audio File: WAV, AIFF, MP3
- 128 x 64 dots organic EL graphic display
- Output jacks (L/MONO, R)
Input jacks (MIC/GUITAR/LINE(L), LINE(R)) (MIC: 1/4 inch phone type or XLR type(phantom power) / GUITAR: 1/4 inch phones type(always Hi-Z) / Line (L): 1/4 inch phone type, LINE (R) (1/4 inch phone type))
MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT)
: COMPUTER (supports USB MIDI and USB Audio; Hi-Speed USB port required)
: MEMORY (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Flash Memory)
- Power Supply
- DC 9 V (AC Adaptor)
- Current Draw
- 800 mA
- Startup Guide
CD-ROM (Sound Editor, Librarian, Playlist Editor, USB Driver)
CD-ROM (SONAR LE)
AC Adaptor (PSB-1U)
- Wave Expansion Board: SRX Series
USB Memory: M-UF128
SonicCell stand and PDS-10 bracket: BKT-S
Pad Stand: PDS-10
- SonicCell Editor
- System Requirements
- [Windows PC]
: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition/Professional
: Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM)
* This does not work with the 64-bit Edition of Windows(R).
: Pentium(R)/Celeron(R) processor 1.4 GHz or higher
: 512 MB or more
: 160 MB or more
: 1280 x 800 or higher/24 bit Full Colour or more
: A USB connector that supports USB Specification Revision 2.0 or higher
* Intel chipset is recommended.
* SonicCell may not perform to its full specs when used with an added USB 2.0 interface card.
: CD-ROM Drive
: Mac OS 10.4.3 or later
: PowerPC G4 1 GHz or higher/Intel processor
: 512 MB or more
: 160 MB or more
: 1280 x 800 or higher/1670 million colours or more
: On-board USB 2.0 port
: CD-ROM Drive
* Although Roland has tested numerous configurations, and has determined that on average, a computer system similar to that described above will permit normal operation of the SonicCell Applications, Roland cannot guarantee that a given computer can be used satisfactorily with the SonicCell Applications based solely on the fact that it meets the above requirements. This is because there are too many other variables that may influence the processing environment, including differences in motherboard design and the particular combination of other devices involved.
- Compatibility of the Plug-in Version
- * The following host applications have been verified to work properly with the plug-in version SonicCell Editor.
- CAKEWALK SONAR LE (Windows)
- CAKEWALK SONAR 6.2 (Windows)
- Steinberg Cubase 4 (Windows/Macintosh)
Audio Units version
- Apple Logic Pro 7.2 (Macintosh)
* The following host applications have been reported to NOT work properly with the plug-in version SonicCell Editor.
- Steinberg Cubase SX3 (Windows/Macintosh)
- Mark of the Unicorn Digital Performer 4.6 (Macintosh)
* Though all of the host applications listed above performed properly in our testing, some of them may not work due to differences in inherent manufacturer design specifications and your operating environment. We cannot guarantee all the operations in these music applications.
- Size and Weight ( Dimensions )
- 294 mm
- 11-5/8 inches
- 175 mm
- 6-15/16 inches
- 55 mm
- 2-3/16 inches
- 1.2 kg
- 2 lbs. 11 oz.
- excluding AC Adaptor
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Securely mount Roland’s SonicCell on a desktop or PDS-10 stand.
A stand for Roland’s HPD, SPD, VG, BK-7M and VB-series instruments (including the HandSonic 10, HandSonic 15, SPD-20, OCTAPAD SPD-30, SPD-S, VG-99, and VB-99.)
Stereo Micro Monitors
Stereo reference monitors that deliver high-quality sound in confined recording environments.
Digital Stereo Micro Monitors
Digital stereo reference monitors that deliver high-quality sound in confined recording environments.
Lightweight, foldable headphones for a variety of applications.
Professional studio headphones with exceptional low frequency response.
Comfortable and accurate headphones for superior monitoring.
Roland’s top-of-the-line headphones.
AC Power Adaptor
Updates & Drivers
If you have questions about operating your Roland or BOSS product, please log in to MyRoland where you can log an enquiry with one of our product specialists.